Grading Permit Information

Do I Need a Permit? How do I Obtain a Permit?
All grading in Calvert County requires either a permit or exemption. All land disturbances greater than 5,000 square feet or 100 cubic yards of material (about 7 dump truck loads) is required to have a grading permit through Calvert County government. Permits are required to have proper erosion and sediment control and must contain all of the items as defined in the Erosion & Sediment Control Guidelines. Grading less than 5,000 square feet or 100 cubic yards is exempt from the permit process, but must have a grading exemption form which is explained in more detail below.

Grading Permits Status 
If you are looking for the status of your grading permit for a single family lot or commercial development plan, please contact Calvert County Department of Inspections and Permits at 410-535-2155. For further information you may also view the Calvert County web page.

E&S Guidelines
If you need to develop an E & S plan there is a comprehensive set of guidelines that will take you through the process step by step. Click here to view the GUIDELINES.

Forest Harvest Permits
Calvert SCD is responsible for the approval of E & S plans for Forest Harvest Operations. For additional information on Forest Harvest operations, please contact the local Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) office at 410-535-1303. The DNR building is located at the Benedict Bridge at Hallowing Point Road.  Click here to view a copy of the FOREST HARVEST PERMIT

Grading Exemptions
Calvert SCD is also responsible for evaluating and reviewing grading exemptions. There are two types of grading exemptions:

    1. The Urban Exemption given to landowners whose land is not assessed agriculture. Activities disturbing less than 5,000 square feet or less than 100 cubic yards of soil are exempt from needing a county grading permit; however, dwellings are excluded.
    2. The Agricultural Exemption is for landowners whose land is assessed agriculture. Exemptions are issued for agricultural land best management practices and must be approved by a NRCS District Conservationist.

If you believe your project meets either of these exemptions, please contact the Erosion and Sediment Control Plan Reviewer at 410-535-1521, ext 3.

Where do I find the necessary forms?
The Calvert County government provides all the necessary forms on the Calvert County Division of Inspections and Permits form page.